Saturday 13 July 2013

Reaping the rewards of a life well lived



As I’ve mused before, sometimes life just doesn’t seem fair. A much loved and liked member of staff had a serious heart condition. He had come through several major heart operations, including one where he was on by-pass for 11 hours! I was called in one night by this man and his wife. He had just been told he had terminal cancer. They were both inconsolable. They sat linked together on the couch in the quiet room and just cried and cried. I was at a loss as to what to say to them. They were both very committed Christian’s of strong faith and that helped. I was able to read some bible passages with them and say some prayers. I sat with them for a couple of hours until the tears subsided and they started to feel a little calmer. Then they tried to spring into action and come up with a plan of how to handle things. I had to gently tell them it was too early for that and what they had to do more than anything was just get through that night. They saw the sense in that and I was able to help them plan to say goodbye that night and start again the next morning. I promised I would come back to the ward early.

The next day they were both putting on brave faces but the pain was there just below the surface. I spent quite a bit of time with them over that admission. It made a difference that they were both people of faith. We were able to have some frank conversations. The man was able to plan some things for when he was discharged. One of which was to take his wife away for a lovely weekend for their anniversary. They were able to do this and some other things before the man suddenly and peacefully slipped away a couple of months ago.

I got to take his memorial service at the hospital. I knew many people would want to come to say goodbye to this treasured man. The small chapel was packed and many people spoke movingly of how he had touched their lives. I guess we all want in the end to just touch and enrich lives, to be loved and to give love. This was certainly the case with this man. What helps me get through things like this is I know he is now reaping the rewards of a life well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment