Saturday 16 May 2020

Inpatient frustrations

Hello Everyone,

Here is this weeks blog and vlog. I hope it brings some encouragement to you all.

https://youtu.be/lW5Rsf3PFvw

It seems to me that things are subtly changing. More people are talking about having to learn to live with covid and move our mindset from pandemic to endemic. I’m not sure how we get there but know we will have to move out of social isolation at some point and it will make people really nervous.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that after two months of #lockdown people are beginning to go stir crazy and the cracks are emerging.

My encouragement to you is to not get caught in a rut. If you feel your mood dipping, do something different. Do something weird and whacky. Design an outfit out of bin bags and model it for all to see. Set a quiz amongst your family members. Learn a new song. All these things are distractions but they are also feel good tasks that should bring some light and energy to your days.

I’ve been stuck back in holiday since last tues. I’ve not been in good form for sometime. My muscles are getting weaker and weaker. Yesterday I had some muscle tests. As you can see from the picture the probe went right into the muscle above my knee. Then when the pulse was switched on my foot started to twitch. It was a weird sensation. The two staff members that performed the tests were lovely. I was told at the end that it seems there is a muscle problem rather than a nerve problem. Hopefully I’ll find out this week what it all indicates and what they can do about it.

Since being in I’ve also puked a couple of times. 750mls first time and 600mls next. They were impressed at my substantive up chucks. None can beat last weeks litre. Lol. Because of the increases nausea and vomiting I’ve had a stomach x-ray. While I’m here they also want to remove the PEG J and a polyps and so some biopsies. They also want to do an endoscopy and a muscle MRI. I’ve certainly had my money and then some out of the NHS. It’s an impressive and amazing institution.

The Covid situation makes this stay more challenging. All the staff are wearing masks. This means you can’t lipread and you can’t see smiles. That’s hard! Also no visitors are allowed so it makes the days long and monotonous.

The photos represent different aspects that have happened to me this week. People ask why my personal emoji is purple. The images of the bruises tells you why. Lol. They have tried 7 times to cannulate me today, so far to no avail. They have now sent for an ultrasound and a member of the IV team. I hope they don’t come too late. I need my 3rd 6hr infusions of phosphate since I’ve been in. Phosphate is really hard on the veins and burns and irritates. I also have to have some fluids as my kidney function has gone off a bit.

My philosophy about enduring the storm and climbing above the clouds into the light and warmth of the sun is still very much in evidence. I’m doing my best to keep my spirits up as well as show my love and support to those around me.

I wish you well as you also navigate through these trying times.

I hope you like the vlog too

https://youtu.be/lW5Rsf3PFvw






No comments:

Post a Comment