Sunday 3 January 2021

Wonky immune systems don’t go with pandemics

It’s taken me a while to harness my thoughts for this New Year blog. My mum would always ring me after midnight on New Years Eve to wish me happy New Year. She would quickly follow that up with, “thank God that years over” I would try and remind her that there were good times in the year that had gone too and that she shouldn’t wish her life away. It made no difference and the whole routine would be gone through again the following year. 


I have never wanted to close the door on a year before. I’ve always been an optimist and not just a glass half full person either. I think you can fill the cup no matter how much is in it and count your blessings. I obviously don’t take after my mother! Yet this year for the first time ever, I am happy to leave 2020 behind. I bet there are many who feel that way too. I could not have imagined that for most of this year I would not have been able to hug my grandchildren or even be in the same room as them. That I wouldn’t be able to go on trips out with my sisters and brother or daughter. That I wouldn’t be able to treat my long suffering partner to a holiday or meal out. That I wouldn’t be able to travel to Ireland to see family and friends. That I would have to wear a mask everywhere I went and even clean my online shopping with antibacterial wipes before I could put it away. My how times have changed. 


Sadly my beautiful Aunt Dorothy and her husband the lovely Uncle Richard died in the early days of this awful pandemic. Then just this week I heard the sad news that my old friend Geoff and another friend Pam had died.  Today I learned of a teacher in Lewisham and an 8 year old from Bristol dying. These unnamed individuals are indicative of the complexities of our situation. Gavin Williamson and Boris Johnson both stated this week that our schools are safe places. How can that be when they don’t even wear masks in the classrooms but only in the hallways? This teacher and child had no pre-existing illnesses according to reports. The exceptional times we are living through call for exceptional measures to be taken. I am a huge advocate for good education but not at the expense of someone’s life. All the kids are in the same boat. Put the resources into helping those that need it to access remote learning for now   Also maybe making the whole cohort repeat a year. Kids are resilient and will bounce back. The only ones I worry about are those whose homes are war zones. I know what it’s like to grow up in a house that’s not safe and find sanctuary in school or with external agencies. We need to get better at picking these kids up and safeguarding and supporting them. 


I told you about how many people I know who have died from Covid. I also know a further 2 who were hospitalised and another 4 who had it and recovered at home. We all know people and sadly many of us have not been able to attend funerals due to restrictions. My heart goes out to all who mourn, especially my cousins and friends. If I can help any of you in any way, please get in touch. Just for now know that I’m holding you in the light during this really tough time. I wish I could do more. 


Despite all that angst and sadness, I choose to live in hope. Hope that we get a fair and effective vaccination programme for the world, not just the rich countries. That scientists continue to study this awful illness and maybe find a cure. I also hope that others assume their collective responsibility. I have safe guarded my fragile health with a passion for the last 20 years of living with cancer. Now, my wonky immune system is reliant on everyone else doing the right thing. It scares me when I see protesters outside St Thomas’ hospital saying that Covid is fake news. They shout and scream about their liberty and think it’s all about them. If any of them had a child with leukaemia they would not be able to visit that vulnerable child without wearing a mask. I’m sure they would do anything if it saved the life of someone they loved. I can’t get into the mindset that would not extend the same to anyone who is vulnerable. 


Covid tentacles reach into so many aspects of life. For example I have a small skin cancer on my back that was due to be cut out this week. It’s been indefinitely postponed because the outpatient dermatology nurses and doctors have all been moved onto the medical wards to free those staff up to deal with all the extra Covid patients. My skin cancer is not serious and I am not a worrier so that is fine. Sadly though there are others who will be effected badly by these delays. My heart goes out them. 


Regular followers of mine will know I’ve been have phototherapy twice a week to treat my extremely itchy damaged skin. It was just beginning to give me a tiny bit of relief. Sadly that too has been stopped and my skin is really itchy again. It’s like electric ants crawling all over me and if I dare scratch it makes it’s 100 times worse. 


My haematology appointments continue as does my monthly IVIG which is given over a couple of hours in a drip. I can see the hard working team around me constantly looking at ways to keep us all safe and ensuring nothing gets missed haematologically.  It’s a thankless task as some can’t see beyond their own irritation. As an old timer, I see things differently. These medical teams are working flat out and they have my support and respect. 



This year, like every other, I’m sure, will be full of loving family and friends. We will just connect differently for a while longer. There will be fun and laughter and there will be trials and tribulations. Some relationships will deepen and some will wane. There will be fantastic new experiences and there will be monotony at times. Sadly there will be more deaths and there will also be some incredible survival stories. 


All of this is life, not just the good bits. Pandemics have happened before and they will happen again. We just need to get better at dealing with it. They say wise people learn from their mistakes. I think really wise people also learn from other peoples mistakes. So let’s all make a commitment to make the most of whatever life throws at us this year. We can’t change what happens to us but we can change our attitude. Today I’m sending out some love and hugs and encouragement for us to go and greet the New Year with gusto. Have a good one people. 


Here’s a prayer for the praying types too. 


Xx


O God,

make me discontented with things the way they are in the world,

and in my own life.

Make me notice the stains when people get spilled on.

Make me care about the slum child downtown, the misfit at work,

the people crammed into the mental hospital,

the men, women and youth behind bars.

Jar my complacency, expose my excuses,

get me involved in the life of my city and world.

Give me integrity once more, O God,

as we seek to be changed and transformed,

with a new understanding and awareness of our common humanity.


-- Robert Raines (adapted)

No comments:

Post a Comment