Saturday 21 October 2023

7th rebirthday.





























 


Today is my 7th rebirthday. The photos show the transplant joinery through its highs and lows. It’s hard to believe that 7 years ago my little sis gave me the amazing gift of life in the form of her stem cells. Followers of my story, friends and family know it’s not been an easy road to travel and it still isn’t. The fact I’m still here though is amazing. 


I sometimes wonder why I’m here when so many great and good people have succumbed either to the MDS or the effects of treatment. It makes me look at life differently. I just don’t sweat the small stuff. I can smile at the beautiful sunset. Go out just to see the moon, watch the clouds and people walking by, enjoy the warmth of the sun and feel the gentle breeze on my face. I could go on but you get my drift I’m sure. 


Before all this, even though I already had the MDS, I used to take on life at break neck speed. If I needed to do a 12 or 14 hour day at work, I did. I also had my church commitments at the weekend where I’d often have a sermon to write or service to take. I neglected my family at times because I felt an enormous responsibility to do all the things I’d said I’d do. I have a strong Protestant work ethic and it’s not always a good thing. 


When I had my transplant, I thought I’d give up a year of my life and I’d get back to work. Today 7 years on I’m still nowhere near to being able to go to work. However I’ve let all those shoulds and coulds go. I live life more slowly. I have all the time in the world for my family. When life’s irritations come along I just think “well this is different” and I like different things. For example, my home currently has no heating or water due to a leaking pipe. It’s been this way for just over a week. I am wearing fleece lined snow trousers and 4 tops. The problem has been diagnosed now and we are just waiting to find out what the insurance are going to do. 


As you can imagine, we’ve had offers of help from family and friends, some of which we’ve taken up. It’s hard to stay too far away because we don’t know when and who are coming to sort this out. It’s further complicated by my partner starting jury service next week. Some people would be really stressing about all this. I just think “sh*t” happens and it will get better. I also know it’s a 1st world problem. If I had no way of keeping warm or getting water like those in exile, refugees of many nations, the Palestinians currently caught up in the conflict created by the terrorist actions of Hamas and an overly aggressive response that speaks more of vengeance than justice. Most Israelis and Palestinians yearning for peace. Why oh why can’t that voice be heard louder than the fear and warmongering? It puts my challenges into perspective and I never forget how blessed I am. 


This blog marks my 7th rebirthday but it also marks my commitment to live in peace with all that my body throws at me as well as strive for peace in the world and the thing about me is I’m foolish enough to believe I can do that and make a difference. Fancy joining me? 


No comments:

Post a Comment