Sunday 8 September 2024

Blood cancer awareness month 2024 (2))



Hi Folks,

Here’s the next post in my series for #BloodCancerAwarenessMonth. The photos are historic. Please don’t think they are current. I’m at home and recovering from covid but otherwise all good. I’m posting photos of when I’ve been ill with my blood cancer but also of some of the adventurous things I’ve done too. I’ve never wanted to be totally defined by my cancer and the effects of treatment. There is much more to me than that. 

Here are some statistics about blood cancer in the UK: 

“Diagnosis: Over 41,000 people are diagnosed with blood cancer each year. 

Survival: The five-year survival rate for blood cancer is around 70%. 

Incidence: One in every 16 men and one in every 22 women will develop blood cancer at some point in their lives. 

Prevalence: There are about 250,000 people living with blood cancer in the UK. 

Mortality: About 16,000 people die of blood cancer each year. 

Cause: Blood cancer is the third biggest cancer killer in the UK. 

Types: Different types of blood cancer include leukaemia, lymphoma, myeloma, myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), and myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN). 

Gender: Blood cancers are slightly more common in men than women. 

Age: The risk of blood cancer increases as you get older. 

Survival rates differ for each type of blood cancer, but many people who have blood cancer can expect to survive as long as most other people.”

The pictures are of me scuba diving in Cyprus and the other is one of the many Hickman Lines I had inserted during my treatment. 

#thisisbloodcancer #bloodcancer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment