Monday 11 March 2013

The ups and downs of chaplaincy at Christmas



Time was marching by. I was beginning to feel part of the institution. I was also feeling more confident in what I was doing. It had only taken 18 months!

Christmas was rapidly approaching. I was able to get some children from our local primary school to come and sing. What they didn’t know was the local football team were coming to the hospital the same day. After the children had finished singing around the Christmas tree and in our main reception areas the Chief Exec said a few words. It was lovely to see so many smiling faces both patients and staff but what was really fantastic was to see the faces of the children when the football players turned up. Their little faces just lit up. This was portrayed in the photographs that went out in the local papers. That day, being a chaplain had a real feel good factor.

On Christmas Day I was called out to a woman on CCU (Coronary Care Unit). She was a regular member of church, although too ill to get there most of the time due to her heart failure. She wanted to receive communion. As I gave her communion I said the words “The body of Christ keep you in everlasting life” and I realised that this woman would soon be experiencing that “Everlasting life” It was a very powerful and moving moment for me. As I had learnt the year before, heart failure patients die in a different way. This woman was very aware of her impending death and was approaching it with her eyes well and truly open. I hope when my time comes I can be a serene as she was. She died peacefully a few days later.

On Boxing Day I was called to NICU. A baby had been born at 26 weeks and there was no hope for him. The family wanted me to baptise him, which I did. The family were from Eastern Europe and I got the impression they may have been Roman Catholic. I tried to check this out but the parents were quite reticent about giving any information. They were the same when it came to the funeral visit and the subsequent funeral. It left me wondering whether they were worried about paying for things. We do not charge for baby funerals at all but maybe that was a fear for them. I hope whatever their fear was it didn’t paralyse them from grieving for their much loved son. Sometimes it is just impossible to get to the bottom of things and they have to be left unresolved in me but handed over to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment