Saturday 1 December 2018

An irritating situation

Today was a bit of a challenge. The morning started well and I was able to do a bit of housework before heading to Kings. This was for my 5 hospital appointment of the week. I had to be in the Cardiac Unit for 1.30pm according to my letter for an echo of my heart. As it was the weekend and not rush hour, I gave myself an hour. Sadly I had underestimated the madness of the time of year and all the Christmas shoppers. The roads were a nightmare.

I tried to ring to explain I was coming but running slightly late. As it was a Saturday I couldn’t get through.

I got in to the department at 1.40pm. A rather perplexed woman asked me what I had come for. She then said to take a seat and she would get someone. Then a man came back that I had passed in the corridor. He explained he was the admin worker and that unfortunately as I was late, my appointment had been cancelled. I said I had just driven over an hour and was there no way I could be seen.  He said that the technician had gone home. I was so irritated. Not with the man that came back and explained things but at the situation. The helpful man said he would leave a note for Monday’s admin to set up a new appointment as he couldn’t follow up, as he only worked weekends. I said the new appointment would have to be made when I had an existing appointment as I was not going to make another special trip as I already have so many trips to the hospital as it is. I did manage to thank the guy for his helpfulness despite my frustration.

On the way home I found myself getting irritated all over again. I decided to put the radio on loud and sing along. The Christmas songs were coming thick and fast. Singing along helped lift my mood. I guess it’s like that quote says “life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is up to you”

It’s all well and good having these extra appointments. The government wants a 24:7 NHS, which it is for emergencies but the infrastructure is not there for these clinics on a Saturday.  A phone is a pretty basic requirement to run a clinic. I might just have to give them a bit a feedback. As you know I always big up the NHS and know I wouldn’t be here without the skill and dedication of so many. On this occasion though I think they could’ve done better.

Had a lovely evening celebrating my wonderful and long suffering partners birthday. We went to the cinema and saw a great film called Disobedience. Tomorrow we have a family meal out and no doubt more fun and laughter. At least the day ended well. Balance in all things is important.

Hope you’re all having the best weekend you can and if it’s a struggle, know that I am holding you in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment