Tuesday 20 November 2018

An unexpected result

Well I didn’t see that coming today. 

I’ve had a lovely few days in Vienna. I was so impressed by the company that flew me and Maggie out to talk to them about the reality of living with GvHD. There were physicians and healthcare professionals and scientists from all over Europe. The whole conference was in English as the common language. They put us to shame by not only communicating with each other in a second language but also by being able to present PowerPoint presentations with very obscure words about complex health issues, also not in their native tongues. I take my hat off to them. 

Maggie and I had a wonderful break following the conference and took in the sights of a cold but beautiful Vienna. The Christmas markets were very sweet to wander around and the lights were stunning.  The people in the hotel were really helpful and friendly. It would be lovely to go back one day. There is so much rich culture and history to see. I’d highly recommend it. 

We got back last night. Today it was business as usual. I had to get myself to Guys for ECP and then Kings for a check up. Guys went really smoothly. Kings was a different kettle of fish. The really nice young doctor who I saw the day before I went to Vienna was expecting me. She said my chest was slightly wheezy still. She sent me for a chest xray. When I got back she said my electrolytes were wildly abnormal and that I would need urgent IV calcium, magnesium and potassium and an ECG. She also said I’d have to come in. I, of course protested and she agreed that I did look well. They repeated the bloods and they weren’t quite as bad second time round, so they let me go after giving me the 3 medications via my Hickman Line. Now all we need to do is work out why I can’t keep an electrolyte balance. They only gave me 6 hours of drips the day before I went to Vienna. Let’s see how long this lot lasts. 

I have to go back to Guys tomorrow for day 2 of ECP and then next week I have a lung function test on Monday, clinic on Tuesday, dermatology Weds and oral medicine Friday. Oh what joy! 


For tonight I am very glad I am in my own bed. Let’s be grateful for small mercies and remember that a mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment