Friday 29 March 2019

More blocked pipes sagas

Sorry it’s been a while since I posted an update. I’ve been gradually feeling more and more unwell. I haven’t had ECP for 6 weeks and my body is complaining. My muscles and joints hurt like mad and I feel really tired and sick. On top of this I spiked a temperature on Monday and threw up in the middle of the night.

I am well used to vomiting but this was the largest amount of puke I’ve ever seen. At one point I was worried that I would fill and overflow the bowl.

I’m now on double strength antibiotics which of course add to the nausea and my steroids have been upped.

In terms of the rest of me, my Hickman Line is still not co-operating. I am booked in for a linogram on 4 April. Kings are still looking into if there is anything else that can be done. I went to Kings on Tues because of the spike in temperature. I saw the lovely Austin. He is such a great consultant and has known me for many years. He has a great sense of humour and a really cheeky grin. It was so nice to see him. He suggested that Kings may be able to just rewire the line. He was going to look into it.

On top of this my PEG is blocked. I went to see the dietician yesterday. Katie is great too and I feel we work well together. She listens to me and appreciates all my efforts and I take on board her advice. Between us we decided I still need the PEG as nutritionally I am still vulnerable. This will need a small operation to remove what’s there and replace with a new tube. It will probably take 6 weeks due to my complexities and needing senior people involved. In the meantime I have to continue the little and often regime with my food.

Despite feeling rough I still have some nice things to look forward to. I am accompanying Patient Liaison Sophie and representing MDS UK at the British Haematological Society conference in Glasgow next week. While there I’m hoping to meet the irrepressible Ally as well as some Iona friends and colleagues.

I hope wherever you are and whatever you are doing you find some sunshine in your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment