Sunday 28 April 2013

The hidden lives most don't know about



My work with the palliative care team was proving to be fruitful in many different ways. 

One of the patients we had been discussing in the multi-disciplinary meeting was being cared for by the community team. She was a cause for concern. She had extensive disease including bone metastases and was staying with a friend who lived in a bedsit. She was sleeping on the floor. She had no income and wasn’t well enough to prove that she was entitled to benefits as she hadn’t been back in the country long enough to pass the Habitual Residency Test. I am familiar with these regulations because of my previous work as the manager of a Women’s Centre. The community team were floundering a bit and didn’t know what to do. I was able to give them a few pointers.

I also spoke to my congregation anonymously about this woman and asked for donations of food and toiletries. They were very generous and I was able to give the community team several bags of shopping. The woman was moved to tears when she received these gifts and wrote me a heartfelt thank you, which I read out to the congregation. She was also very grateful for the prayer that she felt was supporting her. She said that when she felt better she hoped to come to the church and say thank you herself.

This woman wanted a miracle and she put up a valiant fight but unfortunately she died after a brief hospital admission. Her body was taken to our hospital mortuary while her family were contacted abroad. Nearly a year later her body is still in the freezer. It has taken time for the family to be granted visa’s. They now have the paperwork but not enough money yet for the funeral.

Most of us have no idea how many bodies are held in freezers while officials try and find out who they are or track down relatives. It’s a sad situation. I know her soul is already at peace. I hope it won’t be long before her body can also be laid to rest.
                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment