Sunday 30 September 2018

Echos of the years

I’m writing this blog from bed 1 on Davidson Ward in my second home at Kings College Hospital. I’ve come in tonight pre planned to have my NJ tube removed and a PEG inserted tomorrow. I’m very much hoping it’s only going to be an over night stay. Fingers crossed for no complications.

Strangely I’m in a room I’ve been in before. I shared this 2 bed bay a few years ago with a lovely young woman called Sam. She was only 26 when she died of her blood cancer leaving two small children behind. We shared 5 weeks and got to know each other intimately in this small space. She loved all the soap operas. It’s strange being here and feeling the echo of her presence all these years later. Tonight I have the space to myself.

There are so many horrible things you have to endure when you are diagnosed with MDS. I’ve had my NJ tube in since 24 July. I’ve done really well to keep the tube patent all this time. I shall be very pleased to get it off my face and not have people stare. I will miss my conversations with children though about being an astronaut.

I can’t say I’m looking forward to a hole being made in the outside of my tummy for a tube to be place directly into my stomach instead. It sounds a bit ouchy at first. I’m told once it’s healed you can still have a bath so at least I won’t smell for long. Lol.

I really hope they don’t keep me too long and that I’m on the list early. The worst thing about all these things is the amount of hanging around you have to do.

I will keep you all posted as and when I’m able to. In the meantime please pray for Sam and the family she left behind and all others struggling with blood cancers. Today is the last day of blood cancer awareness month and #makebloodcancervisible. This post is dedicated to the army of carers, partners, family and friends who give such unstinting support to those of us affected by blood cancer. You enrich my life no end and I couldn’t do it without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment