Sunday 2 September 2018

Blood cancer awareness month 2018

September is blood cancer awareness month. My cancer was so unusual at the time that it took 2 years to formally diagnose me.  Myelo Dysplastic Syndrome (MDS) was something I had never heard of. It took a while to get my head around the implications of it all. 

At first I didn’t want to tell people I had cancer. I used to say “I have an unusual blood problem” I didn’t want to be treated any differently. I have always been fiercely independent and didn’t want people treating me differently. 

Over the next 18 years I have grown close with my MDS diagnosis. I have had a transplant and now also have to deal with the horrors of Graft Verses Host Disease (GVHD). I have learned to accept that I need an extra hand sometimes and that life, at present, has to be lead at a different pace. 

Would you know what the early signs of blood cancer are? They are often non-specific and could be caused by a number of things. It’s worth checking with your GP if you are feeling any of the following: fatigued, breathless, bruising easily, night sweats, or repeat infections. 

The other amazing thing you can do is become a blood donor or go on one of the registers to become a bone marrow donor. Anthony Nolan take people aged 18-30 and Delete Blood Cancer take 30-55 year olds. If you can’t do this for ill health reasons or age then please encourage those around you to. 

My little sister Gail was my life saver. I will never be able to repay her for the gift of life she gave me. Do you want to join her and become a life saver? It’s easy to do and imagine how amazing you would feel. 


#makebloodcancervisible #bloodcancerawarenessmonth #MDS

No comments:

Post a Comment