Thursday 28 February 2019

Counting the hours

Well I don’t think it could be more possible to have two such different days.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of doing a 2 hour chaplaincy session in Canterbury Cathedral. During the month of February all the chairs are taken out so you can see the cathedral in all its glory the way the original pilgrims would have encountered the building. I have to pinch myself as I climb into the pulpit to lead the prayers on the hour. How did this street urchin end up in such an amazing place?

I lit a candle in the chapel where Thomas was martyred. This is my custom each time I’m on the rota. It’s a way to show that no amount of darkness can extinguish the light of even one tiny candle. I also do it to offer the conversations I’ve had to God before I leave too. Yesterday I collected tears from several people and it was good to feel useful.

Today was totally different. I went to Kings to see if I needed a blood transfusion. I got there at 12.45pm. I had a blood test to see how anaemic I was. I then went to find some lunch. I came back to the unit an hour later. At 4pm I was still waiting. I was told my counts had dropped to 81. Normal is 120 - 150. Mine has to be kept above 94 so that I can have ECP.

I don’t know what went wrong today but it was nearly 7pm before the blood came from the blood bank. It seems they were on a go slow. The nurses kept chasing but it was just one of those days. I didn’t get home till 9.30pm. It’s a bit late to then be eating and taking medications but some days are just like that. I could’ve got really irritated.  I could’ve complained. I could’ve made it clear how frustrating it is to have to wait so long. Ultimately none of those strategies would’ve helped me. Instead I kept myself as occupied as I could on my iPad and iPhone and spoke to the people around me. I had no control over the timings but I could keep my attitude in check. By doing that I managed to have a fruitful afternoon catching up with the lovely and talented Patient Liaison Sophie and starting to write a new article for the website or newsletter.

It may have taken over 9 hours to get my top up of blood today but I am extremely grateful for the fact that I live in a country that provides this as a resource and that I can accept the donation knowing it was given altruistically and safely and by a system that doesnt exploit anyone.   If you donated A- blood and it was destined for a London hospital then you may have joined my life saving team today. Whoever you are, thank you. I will use your precious red blood cells wisely and they are gratefully received.

Tomorrow I’m back at Guys Cancer Centre for 2 days of ECP. It’s a heavy week medically but I shall also make sure I get out in the sunshine, even if it’s only for 30mins. Wherever you are and whatever you’re up to may you find the strength to endure.








No comments:

Post a Comment