Sunday 3 February 2013

A Humanist, Buddhist Chaplain or just a good inclusive Christian?



During my wanderings on NICU I met a family who had just had their first baby. She was born to term but they knew there was some sort of problem but they didn’t know what. The family weren’t religious but we got on well and I was able to be alongside them as they got the devastating news that their baby was terminally ill and wouldn’t live a year. It was a very sad time. This couple were people who planned things and thought them through. This wasn’t part of their plans and it threw them into turmoil.

The baby made it to 4 months, which was a miracle in some respects. Some of the staff had got very close to the baby and her parents. It was a very sad time. I was asked to take the funeral. I found it quite difficult to plan a funeral which was non religious yet honoured my beliefs too.

It’s amazing how often I get asked by non religious people to do things that are significant for them. It shows the importance of human contact and just being there for people. The family and the staff were very appreciative of the service. The parents liked the fact that I knew the baby, and so it felt right to them for me to take the service, even though I had pointed them in the direction of the humanist society.

It’s hard in this pluralist society to keep hold of the things that are important and not have a watered down version of everything. I feel I achieve this balance, but sometimes it’s a fine line. One thing I am sure of is that I am able to witness to what I believe through the way I live my life and carryout my role in a way that is extremely effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment