Tuesday 26 February 2013

Taking a risk or a healing touch?

One night I was called to the labour ward. The patient’s water had broken at 29 weeks gestation. She was very scared for the future of her unborn child. She was devout in her brand of Christianity which was very bible based. She wanted me to pray that her baby would be safely delivered and healthy and strong.

I find these kind of prayers quite difficult because what will be will be. I don’t believe in a God who saves some babies and lets others die. That turns God into an ogre. I did pray for God’s transforming light and love to come into the situation and for the parents and the baby to be accompanied and held by God during these difficult days and also for wisdom from the medical staff in their handling of the delivery. Mum and dad were very appreciative and wanted me to lay my hands on mum’s tummy while I prayed. I did this because touch is a very healing and comforting thing to do in it's own right.

Fortunately the baby was delivered safely. I did a naming and blessing ceremony for them once she was out of danger. They brought a big cake and champagne for all on the NICU. It was a nice thing to do.

I was left wondering how they would have coped if it had gone wrong and the baby had died. How would their fundamental faith support them in that situation? I was very glad we didn’t have to find out and that everything went well this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment