Tuesday 24 July 2018

Rebel Rev takes on pipework

Well it’s been a day and a half. Good grief. The day started with a visit from the lovely Sam, my haematologist. He told me I needed a blood transfusion. I started to feel extremely sick while I was chatting to him and ended up having to puke in a bowl. This lovely doctor patted my back and got me tissues. He will go far. He has such a brilliant bedside manner. 

I had my blood. Thank you to the kind stranger who saved my life. Then I was whisked off in an ambulance with no aircon to go to Guys for my ECP. During my session I got chilly. I must be the only person in the UK to have needed a blanket today. 

I got back to the ward around 6pm and was told that they were very pleased I was back as my calcium was dangerously low. They said the levels were so bad they needed to do an ECG which is a trace of your heart. They took some more blood too. When they came back they said it wasn’t deadly low it was in fact just low. 

I am now hooked up to Eric the cyclops and I have a 24 hour TPN bag up and an overnight NJ feed and some calcium. How on earth am I gonna sleep with all these pipes and tubes. Also how am I going get to the loo? I’ll have to unplug 2 or 3 plugs first. Let’s hope I have no emergencies in the night. 

Finally my lovely night nurse couldn’t stand the heat in my room. It’s a constant 28 or 29 degrees. She went and got this lovely upright fan. It’s a bit noisy but once my hearing aids are out I won’t hear it. 

I was very sorry to miss a visit from Mike Ziolek but had a lovely evening reading all the cards and letters that BBC Radio Kent listeners have sent in in response to my weekly audio diary. 


Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers, messages and visits. It helps to make a difficult time a little more bearable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment